Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Neon Aztec

Aztec prints are everywhere these days.  Every store I go into is selling aztec shirts, leggings, bags and accessories.  I have been dying to do an aztec pattern on my nails but I wasn't sure I could pull it off because of the intricate lines.  First I tried doing this with Sharpies.  I have used Sharpies in past manis and I loved it because it offers so much more control than using brushes.    Unfortunately, the black marker smudged when I put the topcoat on and did not stay on without a topcoat.  How frustrating?  I think black Sharpie is just too inky for nail art on white polish.  It killed me to have to do it over, but I just had to because the design was so awesome.  

I took a deep breath and started again... I painted my nails white and used acrylic paints for the design using a thin lining brush.  A design like this is pretty time consuming but the final product made it worth it!  Plus, I got a ton of compliments!  Many people actually thought they were stickers  :)


I don't often repeat designs, but this one will probably show up again sometime this summer with different colors and I will switch up the pattern a bit.  

1 comment:

  1. Hello Erika.
    This looks really hard to do. I love the design )
    I also really like your blog and it would mean a lot to me if you take a minute and check, follow my blog if you like. Thank you so so much, have a nice day,
    xoxo Nika

    http://makeupbysparkle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete